To file your 2009 individual tax return, you’ll have to decide which form to use…unless you e-file. If you file electronically, the software automatically selects the simplest and best form for you. Whether you use e-file or prepare on paper, using the simplest form will help avoid costly errors or processing delays. And remember, if you file electronically, it speeds up the processing of your tax return and the delivery of your refund.

Here are things to consider when deciding which IRS form to file.

Use the 1040EZ if:

Your taxable income is below $100,000
Your filing status is Single or Married Filing Jointly
You and your spouse – if married — are under age 65 and not blind
You are not claiming any dependents
Your interest income is$1,500 or less
You are not claiming the additional standard deduction for real estate taxes, taxes on the purchase of a new motor vehicle, or disaster losses

Use the 1040A if:

Your taxable income is below $100,000
You have capital gain distributions
You claim certain tax credits
You claim deductions for IRA contributions, student loan interest, educator expenses or higher education tuition and fees

If you cannot use the 1040EZ or the 1040A, you’ll probably need to file using the 1040. You must use the 1040 if:

Your taxable income is $100,000 or more
You claim itemized deductions
You are reporting self-employment income
You are reporting income from sale of property
I am always here to help you with your taxes. If you prefer to do it yourself, visit my website at and explore the Tap Prep Section where you can prepare your own return online for as low as $14.95!!