Halloween Safety Tips to Have a safe and fun Halloween!
KNOW THE RULES
1. Instruct your older children to TAKE FRIENDS when “Trick or Treating.”
2. Make sure a TRUSTED ADULT, an older child, or you accompany your younger children when “Trick or Treating.” A trusted adult is a person parents/guardians have come to rely on and with whom they and their children feel comfortable. Discuss with your child who will accompany him or her and make sure you are both comfortable with the choice.
3. Accompany, or make sure a trusted adult accompanies, your younger children to the door of every home they approach. Become familiar with each home your child visits and the people who are providing Halloween treats to your children.
4. Teach your children to only enter homes with your prior permission and only approach homes that are well-lit both inside and outside.
5. Teach your children to NEVER approach a vehicle unless they are accompanied by you, even if it appears no one is inside the vehicle.
6. Make sure your children wear reflective clothing and carry a flashlight or glow stick when traveling during the evening hours.
8. Teach your children to always stay in well-lit areas, never take shortcuts, and never go into isolated areas.
9. Teach your children to stay alert for any suspicious incidents and report anything unusual to you and/or law enforcement. Teach your children if anyone tries to grab them to draw attention to themselves and loudly yell “This person is trying to take me,” or “This person is not my father/mother.” Instruct your children to make every effort to escape by walking, running, or pulling away; yelling; kicking; attracting attention; and/or otherwise resisting. Consider organizing or attending parties at home, in schools, or in community centers as a good alternative to “Trick or Treating.”
Have a Safe & Fun Halloween!!