Q: Is it mandatory that my required minimum distribution (RMD) be taken as cash or can a specific stock the value of my RMD be moved from the IRA account to a regular taxable account? How about a specific stock used as an RMD to a Roth conversion account? Would this be taxed as a conversion and an RMD?

A: An RMD can be satisfied by distributing an asset in-kind or in cash. If you are distributing an asset to satisfy an RMD, it will be based on the fair market value of that asset upon distribution. You will have to check with your IRA custodian to determine if they will allow an in-kind distribution to satisfy an RMD.
An RMD in cash or in-kind cannot be rolled over to a Roth IRA. You can, however, use the cash to make a contribution to a Roth IRA – if you are eligible to make a contribution.