Here are 10 reasons why
- Companionship. Loneliness can become an unwelcome companion as we age and can lead to depression as well as physical problems.
- Having a routine. The routine of caring for a pet can bring structure and purpose to daily life.
- Less stress. Older people with pets tend to exhibit less stress than those without.
- Getting out. Having a pet, particularly one that requires regular outdoor activity, helps you stay connected to life
- Making new friends. It can be hard to meet new people, but pets are great icebreakers.
- New interests. A pet can expose you to new interests and activities.
- Protection. A dog can provide significant security.
- Taking care of something.
- Investing in life. At the end of the day, having a pet means that you have made a promise to continue being involved in another life. This commitment is one of the most positive decisions you can make as you get older.